Slideshow Image 9 Slideshow Image 9 Slideshow image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 4 Slideshow Image 9 Slideshow Image 5 Slideshow Image 5 Slideshow Image 6 Slideshow Image 7 Slideshow Image 8

Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Am I overreacting?

Since I've started the photography business, I've been trying different ways to market myself and get my name out.  I've mostly used Facebook and blogging...but thought I would try Flickr as a way to connect with more photographers.  I used some pictures I took of my kids to join groups such as "children't potraits" or "shutter sisters" to get some feedback on recent images.  Seemed innocent enough..... After a few hours, I get some comments on my images like "oh, so cute", "adorable", etc.  Then I get a message from someone in Brazil.  Here is the exact copy:

"Hello! I'm from Brazil. I love seeing the photos from flickr, especially children. I am also one, I have only eleven years. I wanted to talk with you, I think is the mother of the girl child blonde put in your flickr. And I love the pictures of her, I began to love there. She's beautiful, congratulations. I still have not found her name at flickr, and I want you to tell me. Good tek, I came here to politely ask you if I Isadora / Manuela can use the photos of his daughter, or relative in a site very harmless. No abuse or anything, because as I said, I am also a child. And I would like to use her picture, just to admire. For other children like me, admire the little girl. But I want your permission"

Scary.....right?!?!  I mean WTF?!!  I immediately block this person.  I don't even think that does anything, but I did it anyway.
I have a statistic counter on my blog and website.  This allows me to see how much traffic I'm pulling as well as the city/country of the IP address, how long they visit, what they look at, and if they've downloaded images.  Of course, I check that.  And sure enough, there are SEVERAL hits from Brazil.  It shows that they have downloaded almost every image of my daughter.....no one else....just Lucy.  Yep....I'm FREAKING OUT!  What do I do?!  Do I delete all the images that they have already taken?  Then I ask myself....what are they doing with these images?  And then I get nauseated.....literally sick to my stomach.
I check my facebook privacy settings and then pull all images of Lucy from my fan site.
Andy is trying to convince me that they just think Lucy is pretty and they want to use her images for some ads....um.....still NOT okay!  I have been so angry and upset over this that I've decided to not publish personal information on this blog....I have set up a personal blog that you have to be "invited" to read.  I would love to invite all of my family and friends and non-creepy people....but I don't think I have everyone's email.  If you would like to read my new blog http://moorekatie.blogspot.com/ just send me a message and I'll be more than happy to invite you.

I understand these "creeps" are from Brazil.......but what happens when it's some creep down the street?  Am I being a little too "crazy"?   I would love to hear feedback.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be honest Katie, you know are girls are only a few days apart, and just reading that, I felt sick to my stomach. If it was Eden, I would do the same thing. I think you have every right to be concerned about what they want/ are doing with Lucy's pictures. Is there a way to send their IP address and that email to a law enforcement agency? Maybe that will sound over the line to some, but it's what I would do. It's a damn shame you can do something as innocent as post your child's pictures for fear that the sick people in this world will do somehting with her. You're right to be feeling all momma bear here! Do what it takes to protect Lucy's image, and don't worry about anyone who thinks you're overreacting. Maybe that bit of overreaction makes the difference. No child wrote that. Big hugs, thinking of you and of little Lucy.

-Angie A

Katie@Simply & Forever said...

Katie, I know we haven't met within the wedding community yet, but I enjoy seeing your pictures as you're a great photographer in this area. I'm not a mom yet, but think you were right to do everything you did. That's what scares me sometimes with blogs, especially mine, how much information do I put out there since it's your name. I think I would do what Angie said and tell someone at law enforcement. Then there is a record of it somewhere, especially if it happens to someone else as well. It never hurts to say something like that, you are protecting your child, but you may also be protecting someone else's as well in the future.

Matthew Jay said...

there are settings on flickr so that people cant right click your photos. ive never had a problem with flickr. thats balls creepy.

Post a Comment